- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Adjustable Gastric Banding
- Revision Bariatric Surgery
- Hernia Repair Procedures
- Hiatal Hernias
- General Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Call To Find Out About Insurance Coverage
- Credit Card
Etwar McBean, MD, FACS
The Bariatric and Hernia Institute, founded by Dr. Etwar McBean, MD, FACS, provides specialized programs for hernia repair and weight loss surgery.
Our surgical weight loss program offers a full range of bariatric surgery procedures that are safe and effective. Including Gastric Sleeve Surgery, Adjustable Lap Band Surgery and Gastric Bypass Surgery. We focus on laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery techniques.
Our Hernia Repair Program offers care for a variety of problems from large to small, complex hernias or recurrent hernias, utilizing traditional open and laparoscopic techniques to suit each patient’s need.
Degrees, Training & Certifications
Dr. Etwar McBean is a board certified, fellowship-trained bariatric and hernia repair surgeon offering his services to patients in the Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD areas.
Dr. McBean is a graduate of the University of The West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica, where he received his medical degree in 1999. Dr. McBean received training in general surgery at Howard University Hospital in Washington, DC which he completed in 2007.
Dr. McBean completed his fellowship in minimally invasive surgery and bariatric surgery at the Cleveland Clinic in Weston, FL, in 2008 where he learned from leaders in the field of bariatric surgery. In addition, he holds an MBA in Health Care Management from Johns Hopkins University.
After completing his surgical training, Dr. McBean worked within the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) health system during which time he received bariatric surgeon designation for Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. During his time with UPMC, Dr. McBean developed a clinical interest in the management of complex hernias and he developed skills in advanced techniques of hernia repair surgery including abdominal wall reconstruction. He returned to the Washington, DC metropolitan area in 2012 to establish his surgery practice. Dr. McBean now specializes in advanced laparoscopic surgery, bariatric surgery and hernia repair surgery.
Dr. Etwar McBean, MD, FACS is board certified by the American Board of Surgery. His professional memberships include the American College of Surgeons, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, American Hernia Society, and Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. He has published in Surgery of Obesity and Related Diseases and has made presentations at national and regional meetings.
Articles by this Professional:
- Benefits Of Weight Loss Surgery
- Obesity and Your Health
- Will Insurance Pay For Bariatric Surgery?
- Bariatric Surgery and Sleep Apnea
- Hiatal Hernia: A Common Cause For Heartburn
- Should You Be Worried About a Hernia?
- Effects Of Obesity On Health
- Bariatric Surgery Helps Resolve Diabetes
- Reasons For Choosing Weight Loss Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery and Medical Expenses
- Your Personal Environment Influences Your Weight
- Why Is Weight Loss So Difficult?
- Follow-up Visits After Bariatric Surgery
- Vitamins After Bariatric Surgery
- Treatment Options For “Acid Reflux”
- Dietary Adjustments After Bariatric Surgery
- Gastric Sleeve Offers Safe Weight Loss
- How Does the Gastric Bypass Work?