Advantages Of Dental Implants
During this age of the internet, space travel, medical miracles, GPS and yes, smart phones, people still suffer with dentures and partial dentures. Other than the materials, the methods to make dentures have not changed since Wellington defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. Complete dentures are not your teeth. They are a prosthesis made for appearance and very limited function.
Complete dentures at best have no less than 30 percent mobility for the upper. The lower is worse and lifts up from the lower jaw by as much as 10 millimeters during eating. Partial dentures function a bit better, but they too move.
This movement acts to abrade teeth, slowly extract teeth and cause an increased rate of dental decay, due to the clasps acting as plaque traps.
I will discuss wearing dentures in more detail in another issue. However, I will state this, the Mayo Clinic did a study some time ago and found that people without teeth live on the average five years less than those with teeth.
Dental implants offer a superior solution to the afore-mentioned problems for the following reasons:
- Dentures require a training period; implants do not.
- Implants will not make your face look sunken in or change the shape of your face. Many times implants can improve the appearance over one’s own natural teeth.
- Dental implants usually improve one’s speech, because you do not have the movement or slippage that you get with dentures.
- Implants will improve digestion because you will be able to chew better, stronger and safely.
- In the long run, dental implants are easier on your pocketbook. (I will discuss this in another edition.)
- Implants are good for your self-esteem and give you a major change in life style.
Implants are used to replace many parts of the human body and they are accepted because they are not organic and are biocompatible materials, which means friendly to the body.
So, in summery, implants offer these major health advantages they enable you to chew your food properly and have healthy digestion; they can even help you live longer; they prevent further bone and gum shrinkage; and implants also eliminate the psychological issues associated with wearing dentures and partials.
Dental implants are also used to support remaining natural teeth and bridges and anchor dentures. These are some of the advantages of dental implants. So, can you imagine a life without dentures?