Community Audiology Services
11120 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20904
A Losing Proposition
If you, like most people, take your ability to hear for granted, try spending an entire day wearing earplugs. You will soon find that hearing loss can make you feel cut off from the world. Aside from not being able to share information with other people, hearing loss may also deprive you of the enjoyment of music and other forms of art. Appreciate and protect the hearing you have because, in many cases, loss of hearing is permanent. Gradual hearing loss affects people in all age groups and is the third most common long-term health problem among the elderly. Most importantly, taking care of your hearing now can help stave off hearing loss later.
The following questions will help you determine if you have a hearing loss and need to have your hearing evaluated
1. Do you have a problem hearing when using the telephone?
2. Do you hear better in one ear than the other when you are on the telephone?
3. Do you have trouble following the conversation when two or more people are talking at the same time?
4. Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?
5. Do you strain to understand conversations?
6. Do you have trouble hearing in noisy backgrounds?
7. Do you have trouble hearing in restaurants?
8. Do you have dizziness, pain or ringing in your ears?
9. Do you often ask people to repeat themselves?
10. Do family members and coworkers remark that you are missing conversations?
If you answered “Yes” to more than two questions, you should be tested.
As you know, hearing loss is an invisible condition that interferes with communication our most human quality. For an estimated 28 million children and adults in the United States who have a hearing loss, determining the most suitable medical intervention or rehabilitation alternative can be the primary factor needed to enhance the quality of life. When one recognizes that a problem exists, the first baby step toward better hearing has been taken.
Other Articles You May Find of Interest...
- Curly Hair: What Type Of Curly Cut Is Right For You?
- Hair Loss: How Is It Affecting Your “Sex Life”?
- Boost Your Beauty This Valentine’s Day
- Look and Feel Your Best: New Lasers and the Latest No-Downtime Procedures
- The Model Lift
- Forget the “New You” and Focus on the Real You
- How to Deal With Hormonal Acne