- Preventive Dentistry
- Oral Surgery
- Implant Dentistry
- Sedation Dentistry
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Dental Implant Placement
- Crown Lengthening
- Pocket Reduction
- Gum Grafting
- Sinus Lift
- Bone Grafting
- Periodontal Disease
- Diagnosing Periodontal Disease
- Treatment of Periodontal Disease
- Maintenance Care (Cleaning)
- Gum Recession
- Root Amputation
- Dental Implants
- Implant Options
Accepted Insurance Plans
- We accept most major dental insurances
- Credit Card
Karl A. Smith, DDS, MS
Periodontal Care can save your life!
Let me help you live healthier than ever before.
As a periodontist, Dr. Karl Smith specializes in periodontics and implantology. Periodontists are experts in treatment of gum disease, establishing and maintaining periodontal health, cosmetic smile enhancement procedures, and dental implants to replace teeth that are missing. Although no one really likes to go to the dentist, we strive to make your visits with us as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Patients’ comfort is an important part of quality dental care. If you aren’t safe and comfortable you won’t go and going is just a good thing for your body!
Degrees, Training and Certificates: Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree from the University of California, Los Angeles 1981. After graduation immediately entered General Practice in the U.S. Air Force Dental Corps. Successfully completed three additional years of advanced training in the specialty of Periodontics, Dental Anesthesia and Implants in 1992 at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio and Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center. Retired from the U.S. Air Force as a Lieutenant Colonel after four years of reserve and fifteen years of meritorious world-wide active duty service in 1996. Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry and in DOCS, an organization for sedation dentistry..
Dr. Smith’s colleagues describe him as a gentle, easy-going person, and people come from near and far to experience the comfort and safety of his office and patient-oriented team. He is consistently rated by his peers as a Top Dentist 2010-2022 in Virginia Living, Washingtonian Magazine, and Northern Virginia Magazine.
His patient’s say: “I’d give 10 stars if I could. Dr. Smith is so kind, caring and explains everything so that you understand. His assistants are thorough, knowledgeable and gentle.”
Degrees, Training & Certifications
- University of California, Los Angeles – Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree – 1981
After graduation immediately entered General Practice in the U.S. Air Force Dental Corps.
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio and Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center – Completed 3 Additional Years of Advanced Training in the Specialty of Periodontics, Dental Anesthesia and Implants – 1992
Retired from the U.S. Air Force as a Lieutenant Colonel after four years of reserve and fifteen years of meritorious world-wide active duty service in 1996.
Dr. Smith ambitiously completed a Master of Business Administration degree with a Certificate in Health Services Management while working full time as a Periodontist.
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation
- International Team for Implantology
- Academy of Osseointegration
- Northern Virginia Dental Society
- Virginia Dental Association
- Virginia Society of Periodontists Past-President
- Maryland State Dental Association
- Millennium Dental Study Club
- Western Society of Periodontology
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- Alexandria Dental Society
- Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry
- Fellowship in DOCS (A Sedation Organization for Dentists)
He won the John Pritchard Prize for outstanding research which included looking for a vaccine against bacteria that cause periodontal disease.
Articles by this Professional:
- Healthy Mouth Equals Healthy Body
- Improve Your Health This New Year: Take Care Of Your Teeth and Gums
- Your Beautiful Smile Investment Is Protected by Complete Periodontal Health
- Cancer and Periodontal Disease
- Eat Better and Get Healthy With Great-Fitting Dentures
- Women’s Teeth and Gums
- Do I Need A Periodontist?
- New Solutions for Dentures and Dental Implants
- Dental Care For Mature Citizens
- Laser Dentistry Can Provide Amazing Benefits
- How to Beat Heart Disease: With a Periodontist, You Can Win
- Enjoy a Stress-Free Dental Visit
- How Does Periodontal Health Help Build a Beautiful Smile?
- Can Gum Disease Affect Your Cardiovascular Health?
- Can Periodontal Health Create a Beautiful Smile?
- Fight Back Against Heart Disease
- What Is a Periodontist? Do You Need To See One? Part Two
- What Is a Periodontist? Part 2
- What Is a Periodontist? Do I Need To See One? Part One
- What Is a Periodontist? Do I Need To See One?
- Fight Back Against Diabetes, Heart Disease and Stroke
- Improve Your Overall Health This New Year Take Care Of Your Teeth and Gums
- What Is a Periodontist? Do I Need To See One? Part 2
- High-Tech Laser Dentistry For Gum Disease and More
- Fight Back Against Heart Disease Schedule A Dental Appointment Today
- Periodontists and Your Overall Wellness
- Dental Implant Technology Can Help You Regain Your Smile
- Why Should You See a Periodontist?
- Get a Life a Healthier One