More Dental Health Articles
4 Pieces Of Technology To Improve Your Child’s Dental Visits
Most modern pediatric dental offices utilize state of the art technology to make children feel comfortable while receiving top quality and enjoyable dental care. Because of the technology, there is reduced fear and anxiety during dentist visits for kids who haven’t had the opportunity to become familiar with their dentist.
Here are a few tech items to ask about when searching for a pediatric dentist for your child:
1. TV/iPad – The best and most child-friendly offices have technology that kids and parents are already familiar with, such as TVs or iPad. These help children to feel at ease when entering a dental setting. A play area filled with toys, books, and iPads will excite kids about visiting the office. Child-friendly games and apps can be used to keep kids occupied while they wait for their appointment.
TVs at each operatory chair can be used to play popular TV shows or movies to help distract children from being nervous and bring their attention to something more exciting than a teeth cleaning or filling.
2. Intraoral Digital Cameras – When it comes to helping you understand your child’s dental diagnosis or treatment, intraoral digital cameras allow you to see exactly what the pediatric dentist sees.
These cameras produce instant images of your little one’s teeth. The images can be saved as stills or video. The cameras are designed to be slim and small, so children can easily tolerate having pictures of each tooth taken.
3. Digital X-Rays – Diagnostic x-rays have long been invaluable to dentistry. The emergence of digital technology within the past decade have made dental x-rays significantly more safe and comfortable.
Digital technology allows the reduction of radiation exposure to patients by as much as 90% over traditional x-rays. In fact, eating two bananas can expose a person to more radiation than what is used for one dental x-ray.
In addition to how safe digital X-rays are, they save time as pictures are developed quickly. They also provide sharper images that can be enhanced instantly to show detail. Since the images are captured so quickly, tolerating the sensors is often more comfortable for children rather than traditional film.
4. Laser Dentistry – Laser dentistry is one of the most advanced dental treatments available today. By utilizing laser energy and water, pediatric dentists are able to perform a wide range of dental treatments in a comfortable manner for kids. The Waterlaser is very effective in desensitizing teeth during restorative treatment, reducing the need for needles and local anesthetic.
It is also much more gentle than sharp instruments, such as scissors or scalpels, during soft tissue procedures. The Waterlaser’s gentle approach allows for a much easier recovery. Waterlasers help eliminate the fear associated with dental treatment and foster a healthier mindset about oral care.
With so many advances in health technology available, be sure to see if your pediatric dentist is able to utilize them so your little ones can continue to build happy, healthy oral hygiene habits for life!
Other Articles You May Find of Interest...
- BabyLase™: The Advanced and Gentle Solution For Infant Tongue Tie and Lip Tie
- Alternate Options For Sleep Apnea
- Dental Trauma: For When Accidents Happen on Vacation
- Pediatric Sleep Apnea and Dentistry
- Dental Tissue Regeneration for Hard and Soft Tissues
- The Silent Suffering: Recognizing and Treating the Root Cause of TMJ Pain
- What Is “Two-Phase” Orthodontic Treatment?