Active Care Chiropractic & Acupuncture
10680 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22030
How To Relieve Allergy Symptoms
Since there are variety of plants and animals in nature, there are many allergy patients in Virginia. Some patients experience allergies for specific reasons, and others are not available to find the reason for their allergic reaction. Also, allergy symptoms are often mistook for the symptoms of other diseases such as cold, flu, even COVID. So, what do you need to know about allergy symptoms, and how to treat or relieve them?
Allergy symptoms are similar to flu and COVID symptoms. Thus, we have to differentiate between those diseases first.
- They all have sinus symptoms, such as sinus congestion, sinus pressure, and nasal discharge.
- They may have throat symptoms, but each type is a little different from the other. Throat symptoms with allergies are itchy, dry, and cough. Throat symptoms from the flu are sore, redness, and cough with phlegm. Throat symptoms caused by COVID are sore, dry, heavy cough, and phlegm that not be easy to spit out.
- They may experience a headache when the symptoms get severe.
- Flu or COVID can both cause a fever, but allergies do not cause a fever.
- Flu or COVID can cause body aches, but allergic reaction cause itchy and redness of the skin without aching.
After identifying that you are experience allergic symptoms, the next step is dealing with it. There are several ways to treat the allergy.
- Avoid contact with the specific thing that causes your allergies.
- Drink warm water.
- Reduce caffeine and alcohol consumption.
- Eat foods or drink teas which contain specific ingredients that can help reduce allergy symptoms, such as ginger, potato, and balloon flower.
- over-the-counter (OTC) drugs.
Acupuncture is recommended if OTC drugs with self-care doesn’t work. There are no side effects from acupuncture, but it can help relieve your allergy symptoms. There are some other treatments available for allergies, but they are not guaranteed to reduce allergy symptoms and they can have severe side effects, like headache.
Acupuncture can help the patient reduce the reaction of allergies with or without OTC drugs. This kind of treatment started a decade ago and its effect was proof by their own experiences. There are some different ways to treat the reaction by acupuncture.
- Body acupuncture.
- Facial acupuncture.
- Ear acupuncture.
Acupuncturists usually choose combination of two different acupuncture styles. In my case, I usually select body acupuncture and facial acupuncture to treat allergy. If the patient was not to severe and afraid of facial acupuncture, I would choose body acupuncture with facial acupressure combination. Each treatment can take 15 to 30 minutes, and after two to three sections of treatment, patients can feel the change of their body.